Thursday, June 4, 2009

Black Velvet

After a year of consideration, I finally built my own computer. I had hoped to build one over Christmas break, but I was too busy with finals to research parts and such. Towards the beginning of May, I got serious again about building a computer and ordered the parts within a week. All of my parts came from Newegg. Here are my specs:
The three 500 GB hard drives form a RAID 5 array. A blog will soon follow on my lovely experiences installing the RAID controller drivers with Windows XP. I also have plans to install Ubuntu, which is the main operating system I will use. I set Black Velvet up to dual boot into XP so I could play games.

I named my computer "Black Velvet" because it is entirely black, except for the blue glow from the power supply. It is also a song performed by Alannah Myles.

The major driving factor for me building a computer is the fact that my laptop is about three years old, and is no longer able to fully meet my needs. For one thing, I had to use a special cheat when playing The Sims 2: Free Time to prevent my game from crashing to the blue screen of death, due to the insufficiency of my graphics card. The Sims 3 released June 2nd. Releases from the development team made it very apparent this edition would be highly graphics intensive, so I knew I would need a new computer to even attempt to play it. The second driving force for building Black Velvet is: I am a computer science major. I tend to lean more towards the programming side of computer science and haven't had as much exposure to computer systems. This has been a great learning experience. If something is wrong, I am the one who needs to fix it. Not to mention, I spent around $1100 for the entire thing, but in turn have gotten a computer 10x better than one bought from a retailer.

No comments: